For some people Africa — it is a dream, for others it is a synonym for unknown worlds. Even to the most sophisticated traveler, the African island of Zanzibar will seem like a real paradise.
TOP 20 things that you just need to do on the island of Zanzibar.
1. Visit Stone Town.The oldest part of the eponymous capital of the island of Zanzibar — a labyrinth of narrow streets with time-worn houses, where even a car can't always pass.
2. Visit Pange Reef. The reef is located in the west of Zanzibar – the maximum depth is 14 m, a wide variety of corals and tropical fish. An ideal place for learning to dive, the sea is calm and shallow. Night dives are possible.
3. Visit Prison Island. Prison Island is one of the most interesting excursions offered in Zanzibar. Prison buildings are still preserved here. But now it's just a very beautiful place where giant turtles live. They are absolutely not afraid of a person and eat from their hands.
4. Dine at the Forodhani Night Market. The Forodhani market is mostly visited by locals who come here with their families and have a picnic under the trees of the garden. The square – the market in the evening is “filled” with rows of grill tables with fish, squid, shrimp, lobster, crab claws and seafood kebabs. In addition, you can taste sugarcane juice and cassava here, as well as fried potatoes, chapati flatbread, beef skewers and even Zanzibar pizza.
5. Snorkel in Mnemba Atollto see the incredible corals and marine life of the Indian Ocean in all its splendor. This island is one of the most exotic islands in the world. Mnemba islet is part of a marine reserve. The length of the perimeter of the island is about 1.5 kilometers, in the immediate vicinity there is an incredibly beautiful coral reef that attracts divers from all over the world to these places.
6. Visit Pemba Island, located 50 kilometers north of the main island of the Zanzibar archipelago, it became famous for its spice production. Unlike Zanzibar, there are far fewer tourists here, and the way of life of the local population has remained the same as before the arrival of Europeans
7. Visit the Ngezi forest.This is the remnant of an ancient forest that once completely covered the island of Pemba. Only in this forest you can see rare trees and plants, as well as watch flying foxes and blue monkeys.
8. Swim with dolphins.Kizimkazi, the extreme south of the island, is one of the best places to watch and swim with dolphins. There are two main species of dolphins that live in the area: the bottlenose dolphin and the Indo-Pacific humpback.
9. Take a cooking class.Under their guidance of experienced chefs, you will learn how to cook traditional Swahili cuisine. The most popular dishes in Zanzibar are lobsters, shrimp, octopus, crabs and snails, sea fish and all kinds of seafood.
10. Gain skills. Try your hand at palm weaving on the beach.
11. Take part in a local festival
12. Take a stroll along the beach at sunset. Take a long stroll along the pristine beaches of the islands.
13. Take a kite surfing lesson. Kite surfing and learning in Zanzibar is a real pleasure. The most comfortable is the eastern side of the island. The best kite beach is located in the village of Paje, where kite schools also operate.
14. Visit a spice plantation.Since the island is known as one of the largest exporters of spices, we recommend that you see how it all grows, especially since you can taste many different unknown fruits.
15. Get to know the local life.
16. Watch the red colobus monkeys in the national park. One of the rarest primates in Africa, the indigenous Zanzibar red colobus monkeys can be seen in the Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park, and on farms around the reserve.
17. Play bao with the locals. A variant of the mancala game played in East Africa.
18. Pamper yourself with a massage to feel a surge of strength and harmony.
19. Join the Campfire Party on the Beach
20. Do absolutely nothing! For many, this is the perfect activity for a long-awaited vacation.